Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Delhi Exhaustion

So after a terrible night, I venture out on my last day. Starting off with the Red Fort in Old Delhi. Which is at this point, another old fort :) It still is interesting and all but I am getting exhausted.

Afterwards I go to Jama Masjid, which is the largest mosque in India. Frankly I am not very impressed. It looks just like the other mosques I have seen already.

Next I go to Purana Qila, also known as Old Fort. Now this place cracked me up! It should have been called Make-Out Fort. This for had a large hilly area with old ruins. Under every single tree or bush or hidden away corner was a couple! In India it is hard to date as we do in the US since the parents want to be some involved. Arranged marriages are still very prevalent. So young Indians go to places like this to be together, since the only people they are likely to encounter are tourists and other couples. They are safe from running into a family friend who may spread the word to the parents, who would instantly want to discuss marriage and meet the other family.

Next I go to India Gate, which is a war memorial to Indian soldiers.

Then to my last destination Humayun's Tomb. This is probably one of the best sites in Delhi, but at this point I am wiped out. I wander around for awhile, but eventually just stop and sit on a bench for a half hour or so. It was nice and peaceful since there were not many people there that day. I was glad that I did not take any more than 5 days for this trip!

Afterwards I stop for some dinner at an American style 50's cafe (hey I HAD to see what that would be like). It was pretty good. No beef for a burger, but I had a chicken burger and fries. Then the driver took me to the airport where I took my late night flight back to Mumbai.

What an adventure!

No comments: